Warwood Teacher Named as Foreign Language Association VP

Warwood School Spanish teacher Amelia Richter was recently a standout at the annual foreign language conference where she was recognized as one of the Mountain State’s top foreign language educators.

Richter was promoted in the executive committee from member at large to vice president of the West Virginia Foreign Language Teacher Association (WVFLTA) as voted by her world language colleagues Oct. 8 in Charleston. Warwood Principal Robb Bauer said he is not surprised by Richter’s selection.

“She’s a dedicated educator and an absolute professional.” Bauer said. “Mrs. Richter is well liked and respected by her students and peers, and she will do an excellent job as vice president of the WVFLTA. I’m proud that Amelia was selected because she represents Warwood and Ohio County Schools so well.”

Richter was also named by her WVFLTA colleagues as the runner up in the conference for best presentation for her discussion regarding the core teaching practices of the American Council of Teaching Foreign Languages (ACTFL) on how to shift from a traditional to a proficiency-based foreign language classroom. Finally, she earned a $300 mini grant for Warwood School from the West Virginia Cultural Committee to promote culture in her classroom.

Richter also was invited to have dinner with the conference keynote speaker, Pete Swanson, who is the president of the national association ACTFL. She said she discussed with him the ACTFL guidelines and the success she has had incorporating them into her classroom. Richter attributes the success in her classroom to the practices learned in workshops at the WVFLTA annual conference. Richter is thankful for the early education program offered in Ohio County schools that allows her to impact the student’s language experience from elementary through middle school.

“My passion is impacting students and encouraging language educators,” she said. “With this focus, I want to produce world-ready, globally competent students who can use the language and can see how a proficiency in a language can complement their own passion. I want to continue growing by collaborating with fellow foreign language teachers and encouraging them to make the shift to a proficiency-based classroom. I am privileged to have someone’s child in my classroom, and I am honored to stir in my students the phenomenon of picking up a second language.”