Ohio County Schools Teacher Profile: Warwood School’s Monica Supanik

Warwood School science teacher Monica Supanik believes there simply aren’t enough hours in the school day to teach her students everything they would like to learn.
For that reason, Supanik created the school’s afterschool STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math) Club. She keeps those students busy. Currently, they are planning their Future City project, designing the school’s outdoor learning space and sensory garden and preparing for the school’s first-ever STEAM Carnival, which will be held Nov. 21.
Supanik loves interacting with her students. That’s why she also volunteers as the advisor of Warwood’s chess club and home economics club. Supanik has a passion for teaching, and she truly cares for her students.
“I’m 100 percent invested in my students,” Supanik said. “I love to engage with them and discuss with them what they are learning. I want their learning to be exciting for them, and that’s what drives my lessons. I try to present the lessons in a way that’s fun for them. It’s not my classroom, it’s our classroom. I want them to love it.”
Supanik is a 2004 graduate of Wheeling Park High School. She earned her bachelor’s degree in secondary science education in 2010 from West Liberty University. She became a seventh and eighth-grade science teacher at Warwood School in 2015.
Supanik said she believes she was destined from a young age to be a teacher. She said she also believes she is best suited to teach middle school students.
“I love being around children, and I was that way even when I was a child,” she said. “I was involved in 4-H for years (as a child), and I was a Mother Hen to the campers my own age.
“I can’t imagine teaching anything other than middle school,” Supanik added. “It’s the grade level I love. They laugh at me, and with me. It’s comfortable, and they can be who they are around me.”
Warwood School Principal Robb Bauer commended Supanik for her dedication to her students. He also said her enthusiasm in the classroom inspires her students.
“She goes above and beyond for her students – all day, every day” Bauer said. “She truly is dedicated to her profession, and she is a role model for the children she teaches.”
Supanik said, with so many projects underway, it is an exciting time at Warwood School. She said she loves being a Viking and being involved in all of the exciting projects her students are developing.
“Warwood students are doing amazing things,” Supanik said. “My goal is to make an impact on their lives and broaden their horizons. I hope I bring something into their lives that they enjoy and learn from and then make it their own.”

Photo: Warwood science teacher Monica Supanik is shown with students Taylor McFarland and Chloe Kenamond as they create figures with the school’s new 3D printer.