Ohio County Schools Student Profile: Wheeling Park’s Zach Kahle

Ohio County Schools Student Profile: Wheeling Park High School’s Zach Kahle

The morning of April 4th was a very special one for Wheeling Park High School senior Zach Kahle.

Kahle’s dedication to academics was rewarded with his induction into National Honor Society. He said he’s worked hard as a student at Wheeling Park, but the accomplishment is something he shares.

“I wouldn’t have been able to do this without my parents, teachers and coaches,” Kahle said. “I’m proud of what I’ve accomplished. It shows that I’ve taken school seriously, but there are people who have helped me to do this.”

Kahle has a 3.6 grade-point average, and his favorite subjects involve computers and technology. He said Chuck Hill and Michael Schehl are his favorite teachers. Kahle plans to attend West Virginia University next year to pursue a degree in computer engineering.

Kahle is also a talented athlete. He was a four-time letter winner on the Wheeling Park hockey team, and he earned his first varsity baseball letter last year as a junior. This year, Kahle is one of six seniors on the Patriot baseball team that is off to a 6-0 start. The starting right fielder is hitting .330 so far this season, and he said this year’s team is capable of great things.

“We’re going to state this year,” Kahle said. “There’s no doubt about it. This is our year. We’ve got pitching, defense and speed.”

Kahle said the Patriot players have formed a tight bond. He believes that bond is another factor that will make 2018 a memorable season for Wheeling Park baseball.

“We pick each other up,” Kahle said. “That’s the way it is with this team. We pick each other up, and we pat you on the back when you make a play.”

Wheeling Park High School head baseball coach Mike McLeod described Kahle as a model student athlete. He said Kahle earned the starting right field position on the Patriots baseball team through hard work and determination.

“He’s great in the classroom, and he leads our team by example,” McLeod said. “He doesn’t talk about being a leader. He shows his teammates how to be a leader through his work ethic.”

Kahle said he has truly enjoyed his time as a student at Wheeling Park High School. He said four years have passed quickly.

“I’ve loved it here,” Kahle said. “I’ve learned a lot in class and in sports. I believe my teachers and coaches have taught me life skills. The teachers here truly want you to achieve, and they want you to be a success.”

Kahle lives in Wheeling with his mother, Rhonda Kahle, and his father, Allen Kahle. He credits his parents for being very supportive of him in terms of academics and athletics. He has a younger brother, Cameron, who is a sophomore at Wheeling Park.

Kahle’s older brother, Alec Cope, is a Wheeling Park High School graduate who now serves in the United States Air Force. His older sister, Taylor Cope, is a graduate of Wheeling Park High School and West Virginia University.

Photo 1: Wheeling Park High School senior Zach Kahle was inducted on April 4 into the National Honor Society. He is shown during the NHS induction ceremony lighting the candle of his classmate Keely Jamison.

Photo 2: Patriot baseball standout Zach Kahle works on his swing during practice in the Wheeling Park High School gym. The team is off to a perfect 6-0 start.