Ohio County Schools Student Profile: Wheeling Park High School’s Anna Allman

Wheeling Park High School senior Anna Allman has been very busy.

As a member of The Park Players, she recently completed three exceptional performances of the theater classic “You Can’t Take It with You,” in which she played the role of Meriam Kirby. As a member of the Wheeling Park Choir, she is now preparing for her final run of Festival of Sound performances that will be held Dec. 7-9 at the Wheeling Park High School J.B. Chambers Performing Arts Center.

If that weren’t enough, Allman spent time Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday being interviewed by the local newspaper and television stations in regard to her latest achievements. Allman was recently selected as one of nine Wheeling Park students chosen for the West Virginia American Choral Directors Association (ACDA) High School Honor Choir. She has since been selected as a member the ACDA National Honor Choir.

For the National Honor Choir, Allman was chosen from more than 6,000 high school and collegiate applicants who submitted audition material to the national committee.  She will rehearse and perform with Dr. Sandra Snow of Michigan State University at the 2019 ACDA National Conference Feb. 27-March 2 in Kansas City.

“I was so surprised to be chosen for something so big,” Allman said. “It’s a wonderful opportunity, and I am so excited.”

Allman was interested in music from a young age. She began to discover her voice even before attending kindergarten.

“I was 4 years old when I noticed that my voice was mature for my age,” Allman said. “I took piano (at a very young age) because I was too young for voice lessons. I still play piano, and I will always love to sing.”

Allman hopes to one day be an opera singer, and she plans to pursue a vocal performance major in college. She’s has been accepted by West Virginia University, Slippery Rock University and Capital University. She currently is leaning toward attending Capital University.

“They have one of the most impressive choirs in the nation,” Allman said.

Wheeling Park High School has greatly prepared her to move on to college, the young singer said. Allman noted that she’s benefited from being a member of the Wheeling Park High School Young Patriots, Park Players and the Wheeling Park Steel Band.

While at Park, she also attended the West Virginia Governor’s School for the Arts and has had roles in the school’s plays and musicals. Allman said vocal teachers Joyce Jingle and Christie Curley as two of her favorite teachers.

Allman said she was pleased with the Park Players fall play performances. She is now looking forward to Festival of Sound and the school’s spring musical. Allman said she’s enjoyed her time at Wheeling Park High School, and she will miss being a Patriot.

“I’m very excited about Festival of Sound, but it’s also kind of sad,” she said. “I can’t believe it is the last time. It’s a great opportunity to show your voice and work with others, and I’ve always loved the material we do.”

“Wheeling Park gave me the chance to understand my talents,” Allman added. “I’ve really had a lot of opportunities here. I’ll miss singing with my friends in all of these wonderful events.”