Ohio County Schools Student Profile: Wheeling Park’s Deanna Crumm

Patriot senior Deanna Crumm has truly made the most of her time as a student and athlete at Wheeling Park High School.

Crumm has earned an A in every class she’s taken in her three-and-a-half years at Park. Knowing her work ethic, there’s no reason to believe her 5.0 GPA will slip in her last semester as a Patriot.

She’s also a talented athlete. Crumm was the goalie for the Patriot girls soccer team that narrowly lost in the West Virginia championship to Hurricane in double overtime. Wheeling Park finished the season with a record of 15-4-2, and Crumm described the team as a close-knit unit that felt like a family. Following the soccer season, Crumm was one of only six student athletes in West Virginia to earn the Wendy’s High School Heisman Scholarship.

Crumm said there is no secret to her success as a student and athlete.

“It takes a lot of work,” she said. “I study a lot, and I’m busy with extracurricular activities. I have some long nights, but it’s worth it.”

Crumm said her favorite class is forensic science taught by Jill Eller. She cites Kevin Orth as her favorite teacher after taking his physical science class as a freshman. Crumm will attend West Virginia University next year where she will pursue a business degree.

Crumm will become a Mountaineer along with one of her closest friends. She will be roommates with Wheeling Park senior and standout swimmer Sarah Heilman. The two have been friends since meeting in sixth grade at Triadelphia Middle School.

“I’ll be rooming with my best friend,” Crumm said. “We grew up playing soccer together, and being the academic achievers we are, we just connected.”

Crumm said she has truly enjoyed her time as a Patriot, and she believes Wheeling Park High School has something for every student.

“It’s a great school with a lot of opportunities,” she said. “I like all the different classes offered. I had the opportunity to explore a lot of different options to discover my niche.  I’ll miss my teachers and the friends who have been with me through the years.”

Crumm is the daughter of Dana Crumm and Bridge Street Middle School Assistant Principal David Crumm. Her brother, Daniel, is a freshman at Wheeling Park High School. Her sister, Daelyn, is a sixth grader at Triadelphia Middle School.