Ohio County Schools music teacher Courtney Moore is glad to be home.

The 2014 Wheeling Park High School graduate’s first year as a teacher was spent in Monongalia County during the 2018-2019 school year. Moore, who earned her bachelor’s degree in music education from West Virginia University in 2019, was hired in Ohio County Schools at the beginning of the current school year. The former student of Elm Grove Elementary School and Bridge Street Middle School said Ohio County Schools is where she wants to spend her career in education.

“There’s a sense of community here,” Moore said. “It’s been wonderful, and I’ve enjoyed being back home. I love how things have changed and improved here with technology and other updates. There are so many friendly faces in the schools, classrooms and offices.”

Moore is a very, very busy teacher. Wheeling Middle School is considered her home school, but she also teaches at Bridge Street Middle School, Bethlehem Elementary School, Elm Grove Elementary School, Middle Creek Elementary School and Ritchie Elementary School. She begins her day at Bridge Street for one class. From there, she teaches a class at two elementary schools before moving on to Wheeling Middle School. Following her duties at Wheeling Middle School, she ends her day where it began – Bridge Street Middle School.

“There is a lot of time management and planning,” Moore said. “Once you get into the swing of the day, it goes by really quickly.”

Moore began playing music in fourth grade, and she joined band as a fifth-grade student. She started with the violin and flute, and she then went on to learn oboe. Moore enjoyed band throughout middle and high school, and she played in a number of ensembles at WVU.

Moore said her grandfather, Allen Martin, was a teacher, and he inspired her to become an educator. She said former Wheeling Park High School teacher Pat Garrett and current Patriot strings director Ben Podolski were importance influences on her. Moore also said the school system and community support of the strings program is something she appreciated as a student and now appreciates as an educator.

“That support is why we have the great programs we have,” Moore said. “

My music teachers were great, and those classes were places where I could express myself. All of those things made me want to become a strings teacher.”

Moore enjoys the fact that her former teachers are now her colleagues. She also has enjoyed the relationships she has developed with her students. Moore said it has been for an exciting first year as an educator in Ohio County Schools.

“It has been crazy and cool that I am working with my former teachers,” she said. “They’ve told me that they are happy for me. The students have been very receptive. Music is emotional, and the kids show different sides of themselves when they play music. That’s been great to see. It’s been a wild year, but I’m really thankful to be back in my home town. I’m just thankful.”

Pictured is Ohio County Schools strings teacher Courtney Moore with Wheeling Middle School students John Koish and Xavior Robbins.

Scroll To Top