Wheeling Park High School senior soccer standout Coleman Meredith is determined to make his final season as a Patriot as memorable as possible.

Meredith, the team’s center midfielder, is confident in Park’s chances of claiming a 2020 West Virginia Championship. He said the team is off to a solid start with an 8-2 record, and he believes the team is still improving. Meredith said his mind is focused on team and individual goals.

“I’m looking forward to going to the state tournament for another chance,” he said. “I’d love (to be named) all-state or player of the year.”

Meredith said COVID-19 has made the 2020 Wheeling Park soccer season an unusual one, but he maintains a positive attitude about it.

“As long as I’m on the field, it’s alright,” he said. “I’m with all of my friends, but not knowing if you’re going to play your next game is always difficult. That’s why you’ve got to play every game like it’s your last.”

COVID-19 has impacted Meredith’s soccer season, but it has also changed the hallways and classrooms of Wheeling Park High School. Also, major construction projects at the school have altered the school environment at Park. However, Meredith continues to roll with the changes.

“It’s hectic, but it’s fine,” he said.

Meredith said he plans to attend college and play soccer at the next level, but he hasn’t decide what major he wants to pursue. He would also love to serve his county in the military after college. Meredith said he has enjoyed his time at Wheeling Park High School, and he considers Language Arts teacher Carly Seals as his favorite. He said he will look back fondly at Wheeling Park High School.

“I’ve always liked going to school here,” Meredith said. “Soccer has been a huge part of it, but I feel safe here. We have good teachers, and I’ve learned a lot.”

Wheeling Park soccer coach Mario Julian and assistant coach Bill Konkle are mentors Meredith holds in high regard. He said he hopes there’s a final memory that he and his teammates can create for coach Julian.

“Coach Julian makes it great every time you show up to practice,” Meredith said. “It’s a great time, and it’s been that way all four years. He’s a great coach, and he’s had an amazing career. I’d love to win a state championship for him.”

Julian said Meredith is a role model on the Wheeling Park soccer team. He said the standout athlete is a success on and off the field.

“His work ethic in practice and games is better than anyone else,” Julian said. “He strives to be the best player in every game. What he is doing this year is unbelievable. He’s scored in every game, and he set his goal to be the best player in the state.

“Coleman is a special  player and a special person,” the coach added. “His attitude to the sport and to life is remarkable.”

Scroll To Top