OCS School Bond Information
"It's Time to Bond Together"
Ohio County Schools 2018 Bond Initiative
We believe the 2018 Ohio County Schools bond initiative is an Investment in Our Future.
- OCS will place a bond initiative on the May 8 election ballot.
- The bond will be for $42.2 million over 15 years.
- If approved locally, the West Virginia School Building Authority is expected to provide an additional $27 million in funding for the project.
- The bond will cost the average tax payer approximately $120 per year or about $10 per month.
- Funding for the bond initiative will result in significant improvements in all of our schools.
- Plans for the bond initiative include improved security in each of our schools. Major improvements include a new media center and science labs at Wheeling Park High School, a new annex at Triadelphia Middle School, and a new cafeteria at Steenrod Elementary School.
- We have scheduled upcoming Ohio County Board of Education meetings at Triadelphia Middle School, Bridge Street Middle School, Warwood School, Wheeling Middle School, and Wheeling Park High School. We have scheduled those meetings to show parents and community members the need for specific improvements in those facilities.
- Some of the most important aspects of the proposed bond initiative are improvements at Wheeling Park High School. An important goal of the project is the modernization of the science labs at the school.
Tax Levy Rates
- Strong public schools positively impact home values.
- Quality public education fills a local and regional workforce need to attract and retain businesses that spur economic growth.
- Successful public schools make Wheeling a desirable destination for businesses, which brings new employment opportunities for residents.
- Top-notch innovative learning environments will attract families when choosing a place to live.
Previous Bond Improvements
- The last OCS bond initiative was approved in 1993.
- The bond was for $14.8 million over 25 years.
- The bond funding was used to build Warwood Middle School and Steenrod Elementary School.
- The bond funding also resulted in upgrades at Wheeling Park High School and Bethlehem Elementary School.
*All meetings begin at 5:00pm.*
March 26 at Bridge Street Middle School
- Discuss Elm Grove Elementary, Middle Creek Elementary, and Bridge Street Middle School
April 9 at Warwood School
- Discuss Warwood School and West Liberty Elementary
April 23 at Wheeling Middle School
- Discuss Bethlehem Elementary, Ritchie Elementary, and Wheeling Middle School
May 7 at Wheeling Park High School
- Discuss Wheeling Park